Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer in Columbia, SC
Have you recently been injured while riding as a passenger in an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare vehicle? Or did a rideshare driver hit you while you were in your own vehicle or someone else’s? If so, you could be owed significant compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Securing this compensation could be challenging, especially if there is any question about which insurance policy should be used to pay you for the harm you’ve suffered. The complex nature of rideshare accidents means that it is important to work with an experienced rideshare accident attorney who understands how to get results in such cases.
The Law Offices of S. Chris Davis fights for the rights of those who’ve been hurt in rideshare accidents in Columbia and across South Carolina. Contact us by phone or online today for a free initial consultation to discuss your legal options.
What Is the Process of Pursuing Compensation for Injuries Sustained in an Uber Accident?
There are specific steps you should take after you have been injured in a rideshare accident to increase your chances of receiving compensation for your injuries. To the extent that you can, consider the following:
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the rideshare driver and any motorists involved in the accident.
- Take pictures and video of the scene of the crash.
- Report the accident to the rideshare company as soon as possible. If you were a passenger in the rideshare vehicle, you can report the accident in the rideshare company’s app. If you were a passenger in another vehicle involved, you can report the accident on the rideshare company’s website.
- Seek medical attention immediately after the accident and follow your doctor’s treatment instructions.
- Talk to a rideshare accident attorney at the Law Offices of S. Chris Davis to learn more about your legal options, such as filing an insurance claim with the rideshare company or pursuing a lawsuit directly against the rideshare driver or another at-fault driver.
What Can I Recover through an Uber Accident Lawsuit?
After an accident involving a Lyft or Uber or another rideshare vehicle, you may be entitled to recover compensation for monetary losses, such as medical bills related to your injuries, and personal losses, such as pain and suffering. Speak with a rideshare accident lawyer at our firm to determine whether you can seek compensation for the following:
- Medical treatment for your injuries and costs of physical rehabilitation
- Out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Costs of long-term care if your injuries caused permanent disabilities
- Lost wages and income if you cannot return to your job or are unable to work as a result of the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment and quality of life because of permanent scarring/disfigurement or physical disabilities
Who Could Be Held Liable for a Rideshare Accident?
Who may be held liable for compensating you for the injuries you suffered in your rideshare accident largely depends on what the rideshare driver was doing at the time of the crash. The three main “periods” or situations that are important when determining liability are:
When the driver is on duty and waiting for a fare
If a rideshare driver is logged into the rideshare application and waiting to get a ride request when an accident occurs, the rideshare company may be accountable under the terms of its limited liability coverage, but the driver may also or alternatively be held liable under their personal insurance.
When the driver is on duty and on the way to pick up a passenger
If a rideshare driver causes an accident while driving to pick up a passenger, the driver or the rideshare company may potentially be held liable under their combined liability insurance coverage.
When the driver is on duty with a passenger
When a rideshare driver causes an accident while transporting a passenger in their vehicle, the driver can be liable for injuries that others suffer in the accident, including the rideshare passenger. This is usually the easiest period for proving liability. Injured victims can file a claim against the rideshare company’s insurance coverage, which typically provides combined injury/property damage liability coverage.
Other situations that may be factor into your situation include:
When the driver is not on duty/not logged into the app
If the rideshare driver is not logged into the app or not on duty when they cause an accident, then the rideshare company’s insurance coverage does not apply. Instead, the driver’s personal auto insurance coverage would apply.
When another driver hits your Uber/Lyft
If another driver causes an accident and the Uber or Lyft you are riding in is involved, you can pursue compensation from the at-fault driver. In addition, if the driver does not have auto insurance, you may be entitled to turn to the rideshare company for compensation under uninsured motorist coverage terms in its policy.
Rideshare Driver Liability Coverage
Rideshare companies typically provide liability insurance coverage to cover their drivers and their customers.
If an accident occurs while an Uber driver is logged into the mobile application and is awaiting a ride request, Uber provides the driver with bodily injury liability coverage of $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident, plus property damage liability coverage of $50,000 per accident. If the driver is en route to pick up an Uber passenger or has a passenger in the vehicle, Uber provides combined liability coverage of $1 million.
If a Lyft driver causes an accident while logged into the company’s mobile application, Lyft provides bodily injury liability insurance coverage of $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident, plus property damage liability of $50,000 per accident. If an accident occurs while the Lyft driver has accepted a ride request, is driving to pick up a passenger, or has a Lyft passenger in the vehicle, the company provides combined liability insurance coverage of $1 million.
South Carolina Requirements
Every rideshare company authorized to do business in South Carolina must provide primary automobile insurance for their driver that includes the following minimum coverage in the event of an accident that occurs while the driver is logged into the mobile app and available for ride requests:
- $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident of bodily injury/death liability coverage
- $50,000 per accident of property damage liability coverage
- Uninsured motorist coverage as otherwise required by state law
If a driver has accepted a ride request or has a rideshare passenger in their vehicle, the driver or rideshare company is required to have combined liability coverage of at least $1 million.
How Long Do You Have to File an Uber or Lyft Accident Claim in SC?
After an Uber or Lyft accident in South Carolina, the deadline set by the statute of limitations typically gives you only three years from the date of the crash to file a lawsuit against a responsible party or parties. Filing suit after the deadline may result in losing the opportunity to seek compensation for your injuries in civil court. For this reason, you should talk to a Columbia rideshare accident lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that your rights to compensation are preserved.
How Our Columbia Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Pursuing compensation from the rideshare companies after an Uber or Lyft accident can quickly become a difficult, complicated task. Let a Columbia Uber and Lyft accident lawyer from the Law Offices of S. Chris Davis help you obtain maximum financial recovery in your case by:
- Providing you with one-on-one representation throughout your case, as you will always work directly with attorney Chris Davis
- Taking the time to get to know you and understand your concerns and needs so that we can tailor our strategic approach in your case to your goals
- Thoroughly investigating the accident to identify the driver or drivers at fault for the crash
- Helping you understand your legal options, including your rights to pursue an insurance or legal claim against the rideshare companies
- Documenting your injuries and calculating your ongoing and anticipated expenses and personal losses related to the injuries to make sure we are fighting for maximum compensation
- Working to get you fair and full financial compensation in a settlement with the insurance companies or going to court when litigation represents the best path to getting the results you deserve
Speak with Our Columbia Rideshare Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been injured in an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare accident through no fault of your own, do not wait to contact an experienced rideshare accident attorney to discuss your rights and legal options. Our Columbia rideshare accident attorney at the Law Offices of S. Chris Davis understands what you’re going through and is ready to put his skills and experience to work for you. Contact the Law Offices of S. Chris Davis today for a free, no-obligation consultation today.